Diaper Bag Cake

14 May

Diaper Bag Cake with handmade fondant bottle, baby keys, blocks, pacifier, and baby sandals.

It\'s a cake

This cake was designed for my brother and his wife’s baby shower. To create the diaper bag itself I baked 2 cakes in an 11 x 15 cake pan which is equal to a half sheet cake, (would serve approx. 40 servings) then cut those cakes into 3 sections, iced in buttercream and stacked them to the height that I had chosen for the diaper bag. Once stacked I covered the cake in Buttercream Icing. The next step was to cover with fondant, prior to putting the fondant on the cake I used a rolling-pin with designs to imprint that design on the fondant. Then I cut a baby t-shirt out of fondant, a baby blanket and a hat out of fondant as well, then these things were laid on the top of the bag to give the appearance of them hanging out of the top of the diaper bag. I cut a long strip of fondant to create the handle for the bag and then draped it. Several days prior to making the cake I made the baby sandals out of gumpaste so they would harden up in time for the baby shower. The bottle was made taking alum. foil formed in the shape of a baby bottle then covering with fondant. The pacifier was hand-made using fondant as well as the baby keys which I just used different cookie cutters to cut shapes out to form keys. I cut out white fondant shapes to create small wash clothes and put them in the side pocket of the diaper bag. The baby figurine to the left of the diaper bag was made a week in advance using gumpaste to sculpt a baby girl holding a blanket.

About these ads

10 Responses to “Diaper Bag Cake”

1. Margie December 3, 2012 at 3:32 am #

How many slices can you get from this cake.

• The Sugar Lane February 26, 2013 at 10:06 am #

Margie this cake was made with a half sheet cake so that would serve approx. 50 people

2. Rose March 1, 2009 at 4:48 am #

Do you take cake orders I would love this cake at my baby shower except he’s a boy

3. Lori January 28, 2009 at 2:39 am #

How much does one of these diaper bag cakes cost and where can i get one?

• Donna Lane January 28, 2009 at 9:04 pm #

The price of this cake would depend on the number of servings that are needed. I am in the state of Ohio so if you are in Ohio I can do this cake for you!!!!

4. planbee January 13, 2009 at 2:39 am #

Hello Donna,
    My girlfiends and I are planning a bridal shower. We are going to make cupcakes with purses as toppers. Do you know where I could order mini purses: candy, fondant or marzipan purses? Please help or could you send me a link of how to make them myself? Yours are simply divine.
    Please advise.

Planbee

5. Donna Lane August 2, 2008 at 7:51 am #

Hey Angela
    My cake was 8 in high. I used 4 layers of a 2 in cake to get to that height. Yes, I always use dowel rods to stablize my sculptured cakes it is a must. I have never had any problem with them sliding or falling. I wish you the very best Angela as you create your own diaper bag cake I am sure it will be fabulous, please send me a picture of it when you get it finished I would love to see it!!

I also LOVE working with fondant it is sooo fun, and let me tell you I was all about the play doh as a kid!!! Too funny… Thanks for the nice compliments on my cake I do appreciate it so much.

Talk to you soon,

6. Angela July 31, 2008 at 8:29 pm #

LOVE this cake!! I am making a similar diaper bag incorporating several elements from the ones I’ve seen online. Yours is by far the best dimensions I’ve seen.I was wondering what height you ended up with (i.e. How many layers you used?) and did you use dowels to stablize it? I’ve only made a handful of cakes but LOVE working with fondant. It takes me back to my play dough days :). Thanks!

7. Donna Lane May 18, 2008 at 7:07 am #

thanks so much for the kind comment, and I’m sure that your cake will be just great, with each cake you do you will become better and better.

8. rachescakes May 15, 2008 at 1:34 pm #

Wow, that is really good. I am doing a cake for a baby shower next weekend, but I know it won’t compare. Thanks for sharing the pictures, I am learning a lot.