Using Cake Dummies to Practice Cake Decorating

24 Jan

There are many of your that have just gotten started in cake decorating. I have been asked by several people how to get more practice without having to make several cakes as well as icing. When I first got started I got so tired of baking cakes to practice on and it seemed to become a big waste of money. I finally heard about cake dummies which at the time I had no clue what everyone was talking about. If you have never heard about cake dummies in a nutshell they are just a block of styrofoam that is cut into a cake form. They can be purchased as a 2 in. or 3 in. thickness. Cake Dummies come in the form of square, round, heart, petal as well as sheet cakes in addition to many other shapes that are available.

There are many places online that you can purchase cake dummies and they can be quite pricey at some of the different online stores.  I purchase my dummie cakes online at a website called The Foam Studio and they have the best prices online.   Here is their website. You can use Buttercream and Fondant on cake dummies. Treat them as if they are a real cake when you cover them with the icing that you plan to use. I love to re-use cake dummies after I have decorated a particular cake design so that I get more use out of them. In order to do that I usually cover the cake dummie in saran/plastic wrap and tape it together on top and bottom so that when you take the cake apart you can just pull the saran/plastic wrap off the dummie.

If you are going to be using fondant on your cake (dummie) you can cover it with buttercream just like with a real cake and then place your fondant on the cake.

If you plan to re-use your cake dummie, you can run it under warm water after removing your icing from it, then let it dry.

Another way that I would practice cake decorating when I first got started was to use the back of a cake pan and cover it with icing then decorate it with roses and other items, I would practice writing with icing on the back of a cake pan as well. Then when your finished you can just remove the icing.

Doing dummie cakes and decorating them is a great way to make several different looks to create a photo portfolio for your cake business if that is what you are planning to do. So whenever you create a dummie cake that turns out great take a picture of it and add it to your portfoilio.

Hopefully this gave you some ideas to get you started on your journey into cake decorating!!

About these ads

13 Responses to “Using Cake Dummies to Practice Cake Decorating”

1. allycat143 July 13, 2014 at 8:09 pm #

I tried to go to the recommended site, but they have changed to http://www.cakestructure.com/

• The Sugar Lane July 29, 2014 at 7:00 pm #

thanks Alleycat for that update I did not realize the name change!!

2. Ter October 8, 2010 at 8:39 pm #

Hello,
    What ingredients would you use for a dummy cake that you were going to use as a display in a bakery?

• The Sugar Lane October 27, 2010 at 9:19 pm #

For a tiered cake you will need say maybe 3 dummies that you will stack together and use a small amt of latex caulk between each tier to keep the cake from falling over.
      Then mix together 2 cups of spackle paste and 1 cup plaster of Paris in a disposable plastic container. (I believe you can buy this pre-made if you like)
      Mix in 1 tbsp. of water at a time into the mixture until it looks just like your reguar frosting…..
      Frost the cake dummy with your fake frosting in the same way you would frost a real cake…
      I would allow the frosting to dry on the cake dummy overnight.
      Then finally you can use latex paint to color the cake however you would like.
      In addition you can do piping onto your cake with latex caulk once your paint has dried.

You can also Cover your cake with Rolled Fondant and then decorate it with regular icing which I have done in the past…..It will last quite a while.
      Cover the dummy with shortening and then place the fondant over the cake.

I hope this info helps and I wish you the best!!

3. Brian July 22, 2010 at 7:08 pm #

My name is Brian, I am the owner of TheFoamStudio.com located in Rohester Hills, Michigan. For the last several months I have been working very hard to get my customers what they want/need. More than excellent customer service and the Best Cake Dummies anywhere. I am a very small company but growing rapidly. If anyone would ever like to talk to me personally, my Cell phone is: 1-248-515-6594
    As for you TJ. Email me at Brian@thefoamstudio.com, I would like to thank you.

• The Sugar Lane July 23, 2010 at 10:40 pm #

Hello Brian

I will be in contact with you soon to give your company a try I love supporting small business…..I looked at your website
      and love your prices….
      Donna

• BJill July 24, 2010 at 4:52 am #

Looks like a great site and I will be trying TheFoamStudio.com on my next order. Love to keep it flowing!

• Patti February 20, 2011 at 3:46 pm #

Hi Brian,

Just checked out the site..it’s great and I will order from you in the future. Can’t wait to see the fondant cakes though. I guess you are still in the process of posting that page. Good luck!!

• The Sugar Lane February 22, 2011 at 3:47 am #

I am preparing to enter a cake competition and ordered several cake dummies from http://www.thefoamstudio.com LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Brian’s prices over there they
        are awesome especially considering the economy these days we all want to save where ever we can and I sooo appreciate a business like Brians that does
        their best to provide very affordable prices to those of us who do cakes. Over the past few yrs I have noticed that pretty much any product that has cake decorating
        attached to it comes with huge prices so I honestly love those who work hard to save us money in the end!!!

My hats off to The Foam Studio……..and the owner Brian for providing a company with affordable prices…..please support them if you ever need to purchase dummie cakes in the future,
        they have an awesome line of products for the cake decorator!!!

Donna

4. B Jill February 10, 2010 at 7:17 pm #

THANK YOU! I, too, do not want anymore cake lying around to eat once it has been practiced upon! Just looked at Dallas Foam and was thrilled to see your advice was solid! They definitely beat all the others on pricing for dummies. Just ordered a mess’o dummies and it was still more inexpensive than the one set from another popular site. Cheers!

• TJ July 5, 2010 at 12:38 am #

Check out thefoamstudio.com for dummy cake foam – they have GREAT prices – cheaper than Dallas Foam!

• The Sugar Lane July 7, 2010 at 9:22 am #

Thanks soo much for the info will surely check it out….anyway to save money is great!

5. Winifred April 19, 2009 at 3:09 pm #

Oh, thanks for this. I got up this morning and just cannot bear the thought of another cake in the house for my cake decorating classes. I won’t have time to get a dummy for this week’s class, but moving forward, this is totally the way to go. Thanks for the tip!